Monday, June 16, 2008

Go out there and do something remarkable


Dear Andy,

Wednesday you walked across the stage and left high school behind. I would say that you became a man on that summer evening but it began happening long before Wednesday night. I wish I could have been there to see you accept your diploma and to whistle like you had just hit a home run at a ball park. In a way, you did hit a home run Andy, and I am more proud of you than I have ever been before.

I wish I could have been there to celebrate with you and to tell all of your friends stories about you when you little and did weird things like walk around in power ranger underroos and cowboy boots or how you believed Josh's frat letters stood for "we eat small children on fridays." Have you ever told your friends that you made up your own dance to the song "Ice,Ice, Baby" before you had even turned 1 year old? Did you know that from ages 2-3 you greeted me only in french? Do you remember how you audibly sobbed and called out my name as I said my vows at my wedding, or how the the first time you ever held your goddaughter, she clung to you for three hours and when I took her out of your arms it was only the second time I had ever heard her cry.

Arie Pencovici said "Graduation is only a concept. In real life every day you graduate. Graduation is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you'll make a difference" I think you have a firm grasp on what awaits you. Believe in yourself. I believe in you. I think you are one of the most amazing people in the world I am so proud of you Pook. The best is yet to come, buddy. I Love you!

1 comment:

Ann said...

What you didn't say is that you are Andy's other mom.You saved his life. Remember when he choked on the candy and you used your life saving skills? You have always been there for him for 18 years. You never let a little thing like 700 miles get into your way. Thank you for loving him like you do!