Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Waiting on the world to change

I can't sleep because I took a long nap this afternoon. In lieu of laying in bed tossing and turning, I am watching the movie Recount on HBO. Recount is a telepic about the 2000 vote debacle in Florida. I remember this time well. I voted for Al Gore and I was glued to the television whilst Florida effed up the election and incorrectly catapulted George Dubbya Bush into the White House.

The chain of events that drives this movie is amazing. No matter which party you are affiliated with, the 2000 Presidential election shows the importance of each and every vote. I have always been a very "political" person and I will never take for granted my right to vote.

I am enraged with the state of our union. I feel it is my responsibility to help make change by using my vote and educating myself on the issues we are facing. The past 8 years have been a tumble to a hole that is going to take years of work and commitment to crawl out of. I am proud to be an American citizen and I love my country. On the other hand, I am ashamed of our "elected" officials and the lack of leadership shown in Washington.

Here is a little perspective for you; this is nothing new to America! Think back to the Regan years, the cold war - when we spent 100 million dollars arming the Afghanis helping them to blow Russia out of Afghanistan's land. Russia withdrew and then what? Did America send money to rebuild the Afghanistan that had we had no problem blowing apart for our own needs? Absolutely not. Not a cent went into building a school or encouraging womens rights. There was no aid sent to the hundreds of thousands of hungry and displaced Afghanis.

So here we are today, marching our men and women in to a war in Iraq. Soldiers are serving their country with dignity and the current administration is using every one of those individuals as a pawn in a disastrous game of one-upsmanship. I'm asking again: Why? Where are the WMD's? What has any of this accomplished?

I wonder what our world would be today had the 2000 election been handled correctly? I guess we'll never know.

1 comment:

Edge said...

I remember sitting in a hotel in Boston while on business watching the returns come in. I remember finally going to sleep thinking that they'd have it all figured out by morning. How wrong I was.