Tuesday, April 11, 2006

~o0o~ I enjoy being a girl! ~o0o~

I make no bones about the fact that I love being a woman.

I like to dress up.
I like my curvy body.
The color pink + me = happiness
I like lipstick.
I like jewelry.

I also love sports, hockey especially - but that doen't deter from my womanlyness - it makes me well rounded.

But something I hate and I know most of you ladies will agree - is shaving the legs. I love smooth legs and "society be damned" is often my motto, however you aren't going to find Grisley Adams gams on this girl.

My skin has not been the same since the 49 lovely doses of radiation that I had to experience. Oddly enough, the cancer was in/on my head but radiation made the skin on my legs ROUGH. I moisturize and exfoliate. I have tried shaving with the grain (as Queer Eye guy Kyan would insist upon). I hate to even shave with the best of razors because I always look like I have wicked razor burn. I have even resorted to using lotion that has small doses of hair remover to thin my leg hair so that shaving isn't such an ordeal - but alas, no luck yet.

Note:I can't afford regular professional waxing so that isn't an option.

So here I sit with Nair on my legs and like the mouth wash commerical says: "the burn says it's working!" Well mother feck, my legs are burning (like they always do with this Nair crap). I swear if my legs aren't sliky smooth when this stuff is washed off, I'll cry.

Do you have any smooth leg secrets? I'd love to know!

6 comments:

Chickie said...

Magic
Shaving Powder
works really well. It's made for black men to use on their faces so you find it in the "ethnic hair care" section. It stinks like rotten eggs but it works better than anything else I've ever used.

bekah said...

I'm a huge fan of Bath Junkie's products and have always been thrilled with how smooth they make my skin feel. Maybe it would help smooth things out a little?

Not sure if there's a Bath Junkie near you, but I'd be glad to send you some if you want to try it.

I highly recommend the Detox rocks (for in baths) and the salt scrub.

http://www.allshadesgray.com/scgi-bin/index.cgi?action=bathtub

Geez. I sound like I'm selling this stuff, don't I? I swear I'm not getting any money for the attempted pimpage of Bath Junkie products!

Suzy said...

My Mom had the same problem after chemo and radiation, and like you, the treatments were nowhere near her legs. She found that Lush's Ambrosia shaving cream and Dream Cream really worked. lush.com

Aren't you going to have fun trying out all these products?! Don't forget to report back!

Anonymous said...

AMY DONT SHAVE!!!!
JUST THINK... IN THE WINTER IT ACTS AS ADDED INSULATION! AND IN THE SUMMER ELLE-B CAN PLAY PLINKO ON YOUR LEGS!

JUST AN IDEA!

Anonymous said...

Sing on, sister. You of all people know how much I love to indulge in all things girly. However, I am super fed-up with spending tons of money on every new product that's going to make my lashes longer, my hair shinier, my skin more glowing, especially when I ALWAYS look the same no matter what. It's busting this college girl's budget! Anyway, my mom always recommends (of all things) A&D Ointment. That stuff you probably slather on Elle's butt actually locks moisture in and is amazingly cheap-- you can get the generic brand for like $3. Let me know if it works!

xoxoxo
- Kristin

Pioneer Woman said...

Hmmm...what about a body lotion with Alpha Hydroxy Acid in it? Over days, it might slough off the rough stuff without you having to scrub it off.