Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Recovering - The Gram update


I am going to cut and paste here, what I have written on my Gram's care-page website for our family. Here is the run down. By the way, don't worry, it is ALL good news!


February 20, 2006 at 07:04 PM EST
GOOD NEWS! Gram got out of surgery at 1:15 (EST) and she is doing great. The nurse taking care of her in ICU said that she is 100% where she needs to be. I feel like we've won the lottery! They are beginning to "bring her around" meaning that they are slowly bringing her to consciousness. They allowed Papa to touch her hand and when he did, she opened her eyes! She also opened her eyes when Mom said "I love you, Mom." A nurse promptly scolded Mom, telling her that there was NO TALKING ALLOWED! This is because Gram is on the ventalator and they don't want her to try to talk. Speaking of the ventalator, they will try to take Gram off the vent sometime late tonight. I will let you know in the morning how that went. I also wanted to let you know that the surgeon said that post-op complication rate was only 2% (yes, that is a two) and Gram was a prime canidate for this surgery. It will be a few days before Gram is in a regular room where she can have regular visitors, flowers, cards etc... I am giving Papa your messages and will print and mail them to Gram when she is up to reading them. Please continue to be praying for Gram. She made it over the big hurdle but her recovery is going to be slow and sore and she needs all the support she can get. I will post again when I have more news to share.


February 21, 2006 at 10:29 AM EST
More good news! Gram is off the ventalator! She is smiling (smiling is GREAT!) and talking just a little bit. Mom stayed the night and said she did well overnight. Mom went home to get a few hours of sleep and Pop and Uncle Tom are there with her now. Mom should be back there soon - she calls me with the updates. Uncle Tom said that the nurse told him that Gram is 100% where she needs to be in her recovery post-surgury process. Gram is a good patient, and she is being very strong. She also has excellent care. Papa wanted me to tell you that. He said "please tell everyone that she is getting excellent care." He also said that Gram's nurse is a tough as nails lady but Papa said, I quote, "top notch, excellent, one of the best nurses I have ever seen." So that is pretty great. And the fact that he is pleased with her care makes us all feel better too. Gram will be in the special post surgery "locked down" ICU for atleast one more night. After which she will be moved to a "room" where she can have visitors other than immediate family.


February 21, 2006 at 05:16 PM EST
Another Good news update. Gram sat for two hours in a chair this afternoon. While sitting, Pop fed her a bananna popsicle, an orange popsicle and some broth. Gram wasn't really excited about sitting up for two hours, but she is in great spirits. She is resting again and her nurse once again reported that Gram is doing excellent. We couldn't ask for more, could we?


So that is where we are now. I'm so thankful that she made it through the surgery as well as she did, but then again, I didn't expect anything less ;) Tenativly, I will be going to Michigan next week to help Gram with her recovery and her first week home. I will let you know more as plans develop.

No comments: